Thursday, September 18, 2008

Smoke's first flight

Tuesday (16th) evening I decided that it was time to take Smoke my Gyr/Peregrine Hybrid falcon out and free fly him for the first time of the year. The sun was just starting to drop over the hill. It was pretty cool outside with a very slight breeze. When I picked him up off the perch, I could tell that he was ready to fly. He gripped the glove and started pumping his wings intently. I slipped off the hood and away he went. Man! It was as if he never stopped for the summer. He didn't take a huge pitch but still pretty respectable. He was up about 400' when I released a very fast racing Homer. He put on the after burners in his stoop, touching the pigeon. Normally if he touches the bird he thinks that it is his. NOT this time. He chased it for about 15 minutes, finally braking it off when he realised he wasn't catching it. I quickly through out the lure and watched him come speeding down. Any time you get your bird back, it is a good flight. Pretty sweet. This year aught to be fun. See ya.

No comments: